Coral Springs Domestic Violence Lawyers
Understanding Protective Orders in Pompano Beach & Florida
If you or someone in your family is physically abused or threatened with abuse, you need protection. Filing for a restraining order (also commonly called an "injunction" in Florida) can allow you to protect yourself.
Restraining orders may be appropriate in a multitude of situations—domestic violence, stalking or cyber-stalking, dating violence, sexual violence, and repeat violence. But, acquiring an injunction for the right type of protection order is best left to an attorney with experience in these types of cases.
The first thing to do when you become aware of abuse is to contact the police. After contacting the police and receiving a temporary restraining order, you should contact an experienced lawyer. At Stuart N. House, P.A., our Coral Springs domestic violence attorney has over two decades of experience helping individuals handle the restraining order process. We'll fight for your rights in the courtroom.
Protection From Violence
What can a restraining order do? It can restrict an allegedly abusive person's actions by prohibiting him/her from contacting, harassing, or coming near a protected individual (or individuals).
Depending on the type of court injunction that is filed, an order for protection can:
- Prohibit contact with the victim;
- prohibit harassment of a victim;
- establish minimum distance from a victim.
Acquiring a restraining order is often a multi-step process:
- Contact authorities. If you suffer from abuse, you should contact the authorities immediately. In most cases, you can receive a temporary restraining order, which can protect you until you can pursue a more permanent injunction in court.
- Once you complete this process, you can file a "Petition for an Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence" with your county's court clerk. A domestic violence attorney can help you understand this process more thoroughly.
- After filing for an injunction, a judge will review your case. Depending on the judge's judgment, an authority will serve the restraining order's target to notify them of the order.
- Once the individual receiving the injunction is served, a court date is set. A court process then occurs, during which the judge may decide to dismiss the restraining order or establish a more permanent injunction. Again, an experienced lawyer can help you navigate this process.
For more than 22 years, attorney Stuart House has assisted victims of domestic abuse in South Florida. Whether the abuse takes the form of domestic violence, stalking, cyber-stalking, dating violence, sexual violence, or repeat violence, he can effectively help you secure the appropriate injunctive relief to protect you.
Defense Against False Accusations
Sadly, the procedures to protect legitimate victims of violence, and illegal harassment are sometimes subject to abuse by those willing to lodge false allegations to obtain an unfair advantage in other types of family law litigation. This most commonly occurs in divorce proceedings, and typically to obtain exclusive use and occupancy of the marital residence or temporary sole "custody" of the minor children.
This misuse of the process not only cheapens the claims of legitimate victims of abuse but also poses an untenable threat to the rights of the target of the false allegations and often presents the specter of devastating consequences, including the potential loss of employment.
The best solution, when confronted with these types of false allegations, is to retain a skilled and experienced Coral Springs domestic violence lawyer to represent you. Attorney House zealously defends clients who are the target of false allegations of abuse or violence and stands ready to help you have a falsely obtained restraining order overturned.
Attorney House counsels clients by explaining their legal options and guiding them through the complicated decision-making process. Contact us online or give us a call at (954) 388-8443 to arrange a free consultation.
Free 30-Minute Initial Consultations
Dedicated to Client Satisfaction
Over 29 Years of Legal Experience
Handled Over a Thousand of Cases