Carefully Safeguarding Your Rights and Interests

Legal Help Through Domestic Violence Issues Throughout Florida

You need protection if you or someone in your family is physically abused or threatened with abuse. Filing for a restraining order (also commonly called an “injunction” in Florida) can allow you to protect yourself.

Restraining orders may be appropriate in many situations – domestic violence, stalking or cyber-stalking, dating violence, sexual violence, and repeat violence. But, acquiring an injunction for the right type of protection order is best left to an attorney with experience in these cases.

The first thing to do when you become aware of abuse is to contact the police. After contacting the police and receiving a temporary restraining order, you should contact an experienced lawyer. At Stuart N. House, P.A., you will find a Fort Lauderdale domestic violence attorney with over three decades of experience helping individuals handle the restraining order process. He’ll fight for your rights in the courtroom.

Protection From Violence In Broward County

What can a restraining order do? It can restrict an allegedly abusive person’s actions by prohibiting them from contacting, harassing, or coming near a protected individual (or individuals).

Depending on the type of court injunction that is filed, an order for protection can:

  • Prohibit contact with the victim
  • Prohibit harassment of a victim
  • Establish a minimum distance from a victim

Acquiring a restraining order is often a multi-step process:

  • Contact authorities. If you suffer from abuse, you should contact the authorities immediately. In most cases, you can receive a temporary restraining order to protect you until you can pursue a more permanent injunction in court.
  • Once you complete this process, you can file a “Petition for an Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence” with your county’s court clerk. A domestic violence attorney can help you understand this process more thoroughly.
  • After filing for an injunction, a judge will review your case. Depending on the judge’s judgment, an authority will serve the restraining order’s target to notify them of the order.
  • Once the individual receiving the injunction is served, a court date is set. A court process then occurs, during which the judge may decide to dismiss the restraining order or establish a more permanent injunction. Again, an experienced lawyer can help you navigate this process.

For more than 30 years, attorney Stuart House has assisted victims of domestic abuse in South Florida. Whether the abuse involves domestic violence, stalking, cyber-stalking, dating violence, sexual violence, or repeat violence, he can effectively help you secure the appropriate injunctive relief to protect you.

Defense Against False Accusations

Sadly, the procedures to protect legitimate victims of violence and illegal harassment are sometimes subject to abuse by those willing to lodge false allegations to obtain an unfair advantage in other types of family law litigation. This most commonly occurs in divorce proceedings and typically to obtain exclusive use and occupancy of the marital residence or temporary sole “custody” of the minor children.

This misuse of the process not only cheapens the claims of legitimate victims of abuse but also poses an untenable threat to the rights of the target of the false allegations and often presents the specter of devastating consequences, including the potential loss of employment.

When confronted with these false allegations, the best solution is to retain a skilled and experienced Fort Lauderdale domestic violence lawyer to represent you. Attorney House zealously defends clients who are the target of false allegations of abuse or violence and stands ready to help you have a falsely obtained restraining order overturned.

Talk To An Experienced Lawyer Today

Attorney House counsels clients by explaining their legal options and guiding them through the complicated decision-making process. Contact him online or call him at 754-732-7482 to arrange a free consultation.