Carefully Safeguarding Your Rights and Interests

Frequently Asked Questions About The Divorce Process

When you stand at the altar and say your wedding vows, you never expect to file for divorce years later. With so many big changes happening in your life, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the divorce process. At Stuart N. House, P.A., in Fort Lauderdale, attorney House assists clients throughout Florida file for divorce and fight for their property, children and future. He is here to answer your questions, but in the meantime, please read some answers to frequently asked questions below.

Are There Things I Should Do To Prepare Before Filing For Divorce?

Before filing for divorce, you should start organizing your documents and finances to help streamline the process. It is also important to ensure you have a strong support system in place and that you speak with an experienced divorce attorney as soon as possible.

Will I Get Custody Of My Children In My Divorce?

In Florida, the court always considers the best interests of the child in making any custody decisions. While every family and case is unique, there are always multiple child custody arrangements you can choose depending on what is best for you and your child.

Will My Marital Problems Be Made Public In A Divorce?

Family court records, including divorces, are public in Florida. However, this does not mean that people can discover all of your marital problems. It is also important to remember that Florida is a no-fault divorce state, meaning that you do not have to claim fault to file for divorce. In some cases, you can seal the divorce record to maintain privacy.

How Long Will My Divorce Take?

An uncontested divorce can take anywhere from six weeks to three months. In a contested divorce case, the proceedings will take longer, often ranging from six months to a year.

Get The Help You Need Today

You do not have to go through the divorce process alone. Contact Stuart N. House, P.A., today to have your questions answered by calling 754-732-7482 or completing an online contact form.