2801 North University Drive 203A Coral Springs, FL 33065

Child Support & Modification Lawyers

Coral Springs Law Firm Protecting Your Kids’ Rights

Child support & modification help in Coral Springs

The attorneys at Stuart N. House, P.A. have more than 25 years of experience representing Coral Springs in child support cases in Broward County. We take a comprehensive approach to understand your immediate and future needs, and when necessary, we retain experienced professionals who may testify on your behalf.

Under Florida law, both parents are responsible for making appropriate contribution to the financial well-being of the minor children after a divorce. However the allocation of that support between the parties can sometimes become complex based upon the amount of time-sharing each party has, as well as whether one parent is voluntarily unemployed or under-employed. Recently, the Courts have recognized a long-standing inequity in how parents were treated when it came to time sharing and support, and has changed the law to improve fairness. While failure to pay child support has severe consequences, it certainly is within your right to ensure that you only pay what you must.

How is it calculated in the Sunshine State?

In Florida, child support is determined by using a mandatory formula. However, many nuances to the formula exist, and our Coral Springs child support attorneys will consider your personal situation and ensure all aspects of the formula are considered. The following factors are used in the mathematical formula:

  • income of both parents
  • number of children
  • custody and visitation schedule
  • day care costs
  • health insurance costs

In a time-sharing agreement, you may spend “substantial” time with your child, meaning your child is with you more than 20 percent of the overnights in a year. In this case, child support is based on a “gross-up” calculation that takes into account the number of overnights the child spends with you rather than “straight guideline” calculations. Consequently, the amount of support ordered may be significantly less than what would have been ordered without substantial time sharing. Child support is an obligation, not a right, meaning you can’t waive your obligation to pay.

It is crucial that each party provides full disclosure of their income and expenses. If you suspect that the other parent is withholding financial information, our lawyers can look into this matter for you. When necessary, we will partner with financial experts to determine the actual income of an individual.

Can modifications be made?

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for situations and circumstances to change, making your original support order untenable or unmanageable. You may need additional support to adjust to a child’s needs, or you may have had a change in your financial status due to a job loss.

Where there has been a substantial change in circumstances, a Coral Springs child support lawyer can help you modify the existing order. A modification may be in order under the following circumstances:

  • your child has an illness that demands additional care or support
  • you have changed jobs or lost a job, making your original support order unmanageable
  • you need additional financial assistance because you lost your job and are the primary caretaker of a child
  • you need advocacy involving enforcement or contempt involving a child custody order

In order to modify child support, you must be able to demonstrate to the court that you have a substantial, permanent, involuntary material change in the circumstances of either party. We will take immediate and strategic action to protect your rights and respond to your needs using documentation, expert testimony and witness statements to back up your claim.

Stuart N. House, P.A. offers aggressive and zealous representation. With our vast experience and ability, we will help you obtain a modification order to adjust to your change in circumstances. The sooner you contact a Coral Springs family law attorney, the better your chances of success in your divorce case.